THE ART OF RETIREMENT
by Gary Williams, CFP®
Think about your definition of a fulfilling life. Consider how an enjoyable retirement fits into your vision. The objective of this book is to help bring those ideals into focus. The time that we have to choose our path and reach our dreams is limited. It’s up to us, as individuals, to make life gratifying and our legacy everlasting.
I wrote The Art of Retirement to serve as a retirement planning guide. This book is meant to help readers along life’s journey by educating and inspiring. As my friend, football legend Ronnie Lott, would say, “Exhaust life.” Those words are my goal. Retirement planning is so much more than making sure you have sufficient money. Naturally, this is important and thoroughly discussed, and it’s certainly money that is key to providing security and a lifestyle to which you are accustomed. However, it’s my wider vision that sees the financial aspect of retirement planning as only part of the picture.
In many respects, life is like art. It is unique to each one of us. It has the potential to be great; it also holds the possibility of achieving a less than desirable result. Like a sculpture, it can be molded and changed. Or like a painter standing in front of a blank canvas, the future is limited only by creativity and resources—whether that resource is money or the number of colors available on a palette.
In keeping with an artistic metaphor, I have woven the story of Michelangelo’s life and art into The Art of Retirement to help you create your own life’s masterpiece. As you read this book and begin the process of creating your masterpiece, you can:
- Gain perspective on what you value. In sharing the story of my dear friend and former NFL player, O.J. Brigance who battles ALS, I will help you gain perspective and appreciate, even with extreme adversity, (i.e. poor health, poor investment performance, unable to save enough, etc.) the wherewithal to move forward, and still achieve the most rewarding life possible.
- Balance an emotional response to 24/7 news. The Art of Retirement will help you understand how emotions and decisions can be impacted by our round-the-clock access to financial news through broadcast media, print media, and the Internet. Well-armed and familiar with behavioral finance, you can gain the knowledge that allows you to avoid costly mistakes. Learn how the brain deals with the impact of money and an array of financial issues.
- Be inspired by the real-life stories
- Hobbies turned into second careers
- Honed skill sets learned in the business world, now employed to improve nonprofit organizations.
- Diverse and unique skills acquired from occupations far and wide, such as an eye surgeon who uses his skills to benefit those in third-world countries.
- Learn the difference between a retirement planned haphazardly versus one carefully orchestrated by financial planning software, which compares retirement needs to retirement resources.
- Obtain an accurate determination of your risk tolerance and capacity. It’s the most crucial and first step to building an investment portfolio.
- Gain perspective on how investments behave while understanding current and potential future economic trends. All of this may affect the traditional approaches of investment management.
- Learn when active vs. passive management may be the best investment solution.
- Learn how to implement and evaluate alternative investments, such as hedge funds and private equity, thereby further diversifying your portfolio.
- Introspectively, look at your life to determine if you have the time, training, and temperament to manage your own investments and plan for your retirement.
- Appreciate the differences among the multitude of advisors in the world of financial investment, and how to select a competent one that can become your trusted partner.
Through the lens of both my personal life and experiences—raised by my father and growing up in a blue collar, welfare-dependent home—and through my experience as a CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™ practitioner, I’ll share my knowledge to help you enjoy a beautiful life and create a legacy that stands the test of time. It will be your financial Masterpiece!
Diversification does not assure a profit or protect against loss in declining markets, and diversification cannot guarantee that any objective or goal will be achieved.
Investing in alternative investments may not be suitable for all investors and involves special risks, such as risk associated with leveraging the investment, adverse market forces, regulatory changes, and illiquidity. There is no assurance that the investment objective will be attained.